The Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs are the host of this year’s OHF Atom AAA Championship. The tournament will be held at the Komoka Wellness Centre from April 12thto 14th.
The Elgin-Middlesex Major Atom AAA Chiefs attended and won the Silver Stick Tournament in Whitby in November 2017. The team went 28-3-1 last season. Chiefs Major Atom teams have recently participated in previous OHF Championships in 2012 and 2016. This season, the team has competed in several highly competitive tournaments, including the STX Invitiational at Notre Dame in November, where they placed 3rd. For this group, it’s all about the ‘TEAM’ motto – Together Everyone Achieves More. All players and coaches have bought in – on and off the ice, creating a great atmosphere for everyone.
The Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs organization has a long history of producing future OHL and NHL stars. Program alumni include Joe Thornton, Bo Horvat, Travis Konecny and Lawson Crouse. Over the past 18 seasons, a total of 96 EMC players have been selected in the OHL Priority Draft, including 4 players from the 2017 Minor Midget team.
The Chiefs and their Hosting Committee are excited to welcome everyone to their community for the OHF Championships. Here are 5 facts about the community of Elgin-Middlesex that you may not know:
- The population of Middlesex-Centre is approximately 16,000
- The local economy largely dominated by agriculture business
- The county’s proximity to the city of London means residents and visitors can enjoy a mix of urban and rural amenities
- Komoka is a crossing point for many railway lines. The community’s importance in rail history is evident in the creation of the Komoka Railway Museum
- The museum has a Shay Steam Engine car from 1913!
Don’t forget to check out the Host Team website: