The Woolwich Minor Hockey Association will host this year’s OHF Midget A Championship. The tournament will be held at the Woolwich Memorial Centre from April 12th to 14th.
The Host Elmira Jr. Sugar Kings Midget ‘A’ program was formed with the help of the Elmira Sugar Kings Jr. B team, the Dan Snyder Foundation, and Woolwich Minor Hockey. The goal of this program is to provide elite level support to players and help them reach their goals of playing hockey at the junior level. Team staff work closely with Sugar Kings Jr. B staff to provide the best development opportunities possible.
In the 2017/18 season, the Midget A Sugar Kings were crowned OMHA Champions. They went on to participate in the 2018 OHF Championship tournament hosted in New Liskeard. Participating in this tournament last year has no doubt prepared them to be great hosts this year!
The Woolwich Minor Hockey Association has seen several graduates go on to have NHL carrers, including Ric & Rod Seiling, Dan Snyder, Cam Stewart and Dennis Wideman.
The Sugar Kings and their Host Organizing Committee are very proud to represent their city and organization as hosts for the 2019 OHF Championships. Learn more about the community of Woolwich with these five facts:
- The population of the Township of Woolwich is approximately 25,000
- Woolwich is made up of ten small communities, with Elmira and St Jacobs being the two largest of them
- The St. Jacobs Farmer’s Market is the largest year-round farmer’s market in Canada
- Waterloo Region is home to the largest population of Old Order Mennonites in Canada
- This means the community shares its roadways and roundabouts with horses and buggies!